Saturday, October 13, 2007

"REAL" Witches Brooms...

Ever notice how all stories and pictures of witches have them riding on brooms that don’t look like they were purchased for $4.99 at Wal-Mart with a complimentary dust pan? No, rather, they look like they were made with twigs or branches or bundles of straw, and in most parts of Eastern Europe, brooms like that are still evident and used today. I took a picture of these two brooms just lying against a wall here at Bran Castle, and remarked how quickly my mind wandered to images of black silhouettes streaking across full moons riding astride one just like this. I thought I would pick one up and try my luck at Quiddich (if you’re a Harry Potter fan), but having none of the other accessories (as well as no one else to play with), I left them alone. Come to think of it, however, if it worked, I could probably have made my way to Curtea de Arges pretty fast and without a lot of fuss (other than being picked up on Romanian Air Force radar and suddenly staring down a couple of Su-37 fighters).

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Next time you are in India, pay attention they are everywhere. But they lack the handles. I asked why... because that way the servant class has to be bowing all the time, just like your post about the doors.