Saturday, October 06, 2007

Giant Pine-Cone or Hannibal Lecter Monument?

Okay, now I have to admit, I was trying to be all “open minded modern art guy” when I saw this sculpture in the Krakow main market, but after careful consideration, all I could “get” out of it was some sort of giant pine-cone. But people on the other side of it seemed to be taking pictures in machine-gun fashion, so I circled around to see what I was missing.

“Oh!”, I said out loud, feeling like a total idiot. You can tell from the second picture included here that what looked like a giant pine-cone from the back is actually some dude’s head, and if you walk around it, you can see his face, bizarre as it may be (Duh!). I’m still not sure what the deal is, though… it looks as though he’s wearing one of those masks that Dr. Hannibal Lecter wears in Silence of the Lambs to keep him from biting people, but I’m relatively certain that the artist probably didn’t have that in mind when he produced his work here. Nevertheless, I was half tempted to leave a small plate of Faver Beans and a nice Chianti for him in case he decided to find some liver along the way… thp-thp-thp-thp!!!

No comments: